Thursday 25 September 2014

Registering with the police and the quirks of this city

This morning I had to go to some government office to register my intention to stay in Czech Republic for longer than 3 months.
No phones were allowed, but the
office clerk kind of looked like this..

This involved quite a lot of repetitive paper work, and being sent back an forth to different offices within the building, but in the end it was not as slow as it could've been. I was fortunate enough to have made an appointment before going, because they use this ticket system where you receive a number when you enter and are served when your number is called,but it is slowed down because its common for someone to take a ticket and then go for a smoke or just not come back.;This system is something that I only saw in "Clarks" shoe store  in the UK about 10 years ago and every other store here in Czech.

We somehow ended up in the Non-EU office and it was just crowded with people with about 1 member of staff to every 15 people. But, over in the EU office the situation was much better, it was quite fast and efficient. Because I had an appointment, I was seen straight away and it was all dealt with in about 30 mins.

The 30 minute turn around was possible because through some common sense, (no instruction was given) I brought my ID, work contract, flat contract and passport photo..oh and European Health Insurance card..first time it has ever been used..

The whole process was conducted in Czech as I had Veronika there with me, but the paper work had both Czech and English instructions. I just need to return to the office next week to pick up my citizen's card.

And hey, turns out my criminal record is as clean as...a Didgeridoo? or a Peruvian whistle?


So after that, I had a pretty non eventful day...I had some time to kill whilst Veronika was going for a job interview (she got it by the way! :D )..So I had a wander around and took some photos of "quirky" things. And yeah there are many things when you look closely..

Dappy Birthday to you..

Sometimes the police bring horses..
purely because horses are bad ass, right?
Who has taken more acid? these guys..?
Or this guy..?
or this guy..?







No comments:

Post a Comment